Fine-Tuning Your Hypnotherapy Style
1. Environmental Checklist
This is your environemntal checklist. You can download a copy of it here.
Prepare the Physical Environment for the Client
Both the client’s body position and yours are important in setting the stage for relaxation. Watch for the following:
• Encourage a bathroom break before beginning.
• Have tissues on hand.
• Encourage client to remove glasses or restrictive jewelry if they are comfortable doing so.
• Tell client if they are uncomfortable they may tell you, or if they wish to speak they may do so.
• Client may require a prompt to disregard the voice of the Hypnotherapist, for instance if they are a relative or a friend and are distracted by this.
• Everything uncrossed (legs, arms).
• Respect the client’s personal space (i.e. don’t be nose to nose).
• Use voice variance: softer/louder, faster/slower, pauses/semantics).
• Watch the client’s physical movements.
Always remain in the room with client.
• Watch the client at all times to monitor signs of fear or abreactions.
• Client cannot go to sleep (snoring may occur as throat relaxes).
• Client is being held in that “five-second twilight state”